skip to main content

Free & Reduced Price Meal Guidelines

Food Services Free & Reduced Price Meal Guidelines

Children need healthy meals to learn. Mandan Public Schools offers healthy meals every school day.  Elementary Breakfast costs $1.70, Secondary Breakfast cost, $1.85, Elementary lunch costs $2.65, Middle School lunch cost $2.90, High School lunch cost $3.15. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $0.00 for breakfast (breakfast is paid by the State) and 40 cents for lunch.


For School Year 2019-2020

Household Size









Each Additional Person:





















2x per Month










Every 2 Weeks




















Here are answers to questions you may have about applying:

  1. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.
  2. WHO CAN GET FREE MEALS? ? All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or the Temporary Assistance Program for Needy Families (TANF) can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free or reduced price meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart.
  3. CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.
  4. CAN HOMELESS, RUNAWAY, AND MIGRANT CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call the school at 751-6500 to see if they qualify.
  5. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? ? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the Child Nutrition office at 751-6500 if you have questions.
  6. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  7. I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILD(REN) GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.
  8. WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
  9. IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving SNAP TANF or FDPIR. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals during the time you are unemployed.
  10. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: BECKY HEINERT, DIRECTOR OF NUTRITION SERVICES. MANDAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, 901 DIVISION ST. NW, MANDAN, ND 58554.
  11. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
  12. WHOM SHOULD I INCLUDE AS MEMBERS OF MY HOUSEHOLD? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children living with you.
  13. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.
  14. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE INCLUDE OUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE AS INCOME? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income.
  15. MY SPOUSE IS DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE. IS HIS/HER COMBAT PAY COUNTED AS INCOME? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.
  16. WE ACCEPT APPLICATIONS AT ANYTIME DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR; however, because of the high volume of applications before the start of school, in order for us to process your application before classes begin, please submit form by August 12.


If you have other questions or need help, call:
Becky Heinert, Child Nutrition Director at 751-6500.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (202) 720-5964 FREE (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

ADA Compliance Errors 0